Circassian Associations Federation International Cartoon Contest 2014, Turkey 10
In order to increase the awareness of the Circassian genocide and exile practiced, Circassian Associations Federation have held an International Cartoon Contest named ‘Genocide: The Crime of the Crimes’, in consideration of the effectiveness of the art of cartooning with its language that delivers fast and clear messages to the public.
SUBJECT: "Circassians’ Bleeding Wound: Genocide; The Crime of the Crimes"
In todays literature the name of the events that are performed by Russians during their attacks and occupation with a disproportionate power in the Caucasus is called Genocide.
• The Russian Historian P. P. Korolenko writes in his book in "Chernomorts" published in 1874: "During the year 1825, our detachments were destroying beyond Kuban and destroying the villages of highlanders. Fire and raid that killed thousands of Circassians, also the survivors were dying of starvation and disease because food and fuel reserves were also destroyed..."
• Again, the Russian Tsar Alexander II, in a letter he wrote June 24, 1861 to the Kuban Cossack Army Commander Adjutant General Yevdakimov was saying: "Now, with the God's help and the invasion of entire Caucasus entirely has been reached to an end. After that, the task to do with a few years of hard work is to exile the hostile mountaineers from their country and place Russian Christian population to their place where they will live there permanently" (Caucasian War on archive materials and Circassians in Turkey expulsion (1848-1874), Nalchik - 2003, p. 80-81).
• In 21 May 1864, Russian Army had held a Celebration Parade for the victory they had from the Russian-Caucasian War in Sochi Kbaada (Krasnaya Polyana) region. General Fedayev records that day as follows: "Everything that is done with gunpowder and bullets ended however, there is no peace to us as the mountain people that is kept by coast to be delivered (to Ottoman Empire) are still there. They has to be sent to the Ottoman Empire." (RA Fedayev, Caucasus Letters, The Complete Works, Saint Petersburg 1889, v.1, Part 1, p. 197)
Indeed it was ...; nearly to 2 million of Circassian were removed from the territory and sent to the Ottoman Empire.
All of those acts is according to the article 2 of the "UN Convention on Prevention of Genocide and Punishment" and in Article 6 of "the Statute of the International Criminal Court" are listed as the "acts of genocide".
Circassians are for 150 years suffering from this genocide and deportations.
As a result of genocide and exile,
Circassians whom were removed from their homeland and distributed to the 40 countries of the world,
Lost the advantage of ensuring their continued existence "by living in a geographical area with a demographic density"
Due to the dissolution of their population in geographical areas they deported to, has come under the threat of assimilation,
Today both in homeland and in Diaspora they are in a position where they can not preserve their national language and culture.
In order to increase the awareness of the Circassian genocide and exile practiced, Circassian Associations Federation have held an International Cartoon Contest named, ‘Genocide: The Crime of the Crimes’, in consideration of the effectiveness of the art of cartooning with its language that delivers fast and clear messages to the public.
Of the participants works over the issue of the genocide that Circassians have suffered are expected .
- The contest is organized on an international scale, open to amateur and professional cartoonists.
- Drawing technique is free. Cartoons are submitting artwork as a computer printout has to deliver the final work with a wetseal on (Hand signed).
- Cartoon dimensions: at least A4 (21 x 29.7 cm) and maximum A3 (29.7 x 42 cm) and should not be affixed, glued to any floor.
-Artworks submitted should NOT have had submitted to any other contest and prized with an award. Jury considering similarity with any other cartoons belonging to other cartoonist will not be considered. Participants will be responsible by any possible controversy of stealing or similarity claims.
- Competitors should submit their artwork with a CV including photo, address, phone and e -mail information, and specifications attached to the entry form (Appendix 1).
- Contestants can submit up to 5 cartoons.
- On the back of each artwork of information of the participants has to be included (Name, Surname , Address, Telephone and e- mail information). Works do not contain this information will not be considered.
- Participants artworks should be delivered only to the address of our Federation specified. Works that are not sent to this address will not be considered.
- On the envelope of the Artwork sent please print 'Circassian Association FEDERATION Cartoon Contest' with text by typing the artist's name and surname. Artworks should to be sent to the specified address until 15 September 2014.
- Cartoons should be prevented for any damage and should not be folded. In accordance with the specification should be delivered with a courier, registered mail or by hand.
- Jury Meeting will be held on September 27, 2014. Contest results will be announced on 6 October 2014.
- Awards will be given at NOVEMBER / 2014 during the "International Conference of the 150th year of the Circassian Genocide".
- The cartoons of the jury awarded will be exhibited in the foyer of the first conference day; followingly exhibited at the appropriate galleries.
- The travel costs of the winners living out of Istanbul, Turkey, will be covered by our Federation.
- Awards will be sent to the address of the contestants that are unable to attend the award ceremony.
- The Copyrights of submitted artworks either received an award or not for a competition will belong to the Circassian Associations Federation.
- The cartoons submitted to the competition will not be returned. All cartoons submitted either awarded or not can be displayed or may be published by the Circassian Associations Federation.
- Sent artworks that are selected by the jury will be collected in an Album. And the Album will only delivered to the award winners and the artists which the artwork has been published on the album.
The participants whom sent their artworks to the contest accepts the above conditions.